Discussion

Essayist: Winners of a Nobel prize for science, who are typically professional scientists, have all made significant contributions to science. But amateur scientists have also provided many significant contributions. And unlike professional scientists, who are often motivated by economic necessity or a desire for fame, amateur scientists are motivated by the love of discovery alone. If the essayist’s statements are true, then which one of the following must also be true?
(A) Some amateur scientists who did not win a Nobel prize for science nevertheless made significant contributions to science.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in June 2013 LSAT (PT69): Logical Reasoning A, question #21

The solution is

Posted: 11/19/2013 17:26
Why is c the answer
Posted: 11/19/2013 17:44
Marilyn, we are happy to help but we would like to understand your thought process. Please write why you pick a certain answer or why you think the answer key is wrong.

In this case, the key sentence is the one that begins with "Unlike professional scientists ...., ... love of discovery ALONE".

This means that professional scientists also love discovery,
although that is not their only motivation.

Hence, love of discovery is the common factor.
Posted: 11/21/2013 08:18
I still don't understand why c is the answer. If professional scientists are only driven by money and fame, why would the answer be c. C is saying the love of discovery (amateur scientists) are what makes significant contributions to science. But it states the money driven professional scientists also make significant discoveries.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 11/21/2013 10:16
Alex, I want to correct Arcadia Feignman's explanation.

C is the right answer because it is the conclusion of sentence 2 "... amateur scientists have also provided many significant contributions", and sentence 3 "... amateur scientists are motivated by the love of discovery alone". This means that many significant contributions of science are motivated by love of discovery.

A does B
A does B because of C and C alone

Hence, B is due to C.
Posted: 01/24/2014 10:57
If I may add, C is the answer because it is the one factor both parties have in common. Amateur scientists, only does it for the love which leaves us safe to make the assumption that professional scientists still do it for that reason as well. Making C the truest answer.
Posted: 09/24/2014 15:48
This question like so many others created by the writers of the LSAT just illustrates further the arbitrariness of their 'logic'. As a licensed paralegal who has litigated for years I can say with almost certainty that the LSAT has prevented many a great legal mind from practicing what should be their vocation. My father, an esteemed trial lawyer became such before the LSAT was in existence and arguably might have never had been able to practice law had the LSAT been imposed then.
Posted: 09/24/2014 17:46
Ashley, I don't think the logic is arbitrary in this question or any question in LSAT. I agree with you though for doubting the high value put on LSAT score in law school admission. That said, there are many really good law schools that would accept students with good though not top LSAT score. If your goal is to become a great trial lawyer, you don't have to go to the top 14 law schools. Just like you don't have to graduate from an Ivy League medical school to become a good doctor. Cheers.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In