Discussion

Company president: Most of our best sales representatives came to the job with a degree in engineering but little or no sales experience. Thus, when we hire sales representatives, we should favor applicants who have engineering degrees but little or no sales experience over applicants with extensive sales experience but no engineering degrees. Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the company president’s argument?
(A)Some of the company’s sales representatives completed a degree in engineering while working for the company.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in June 2013 LSAT (PT69): Logical Reasoning A, question #22

The solution is

Posted: 10/13/2013 00:01
Can someone explain how this weakens the argument?
Posted: 10/21/2013 11:13
Megann, the president of the company argues that the best sales reps (i.e., a SMALL subset of all sales reps) have a degree in engineering. Choice B states that MOST (i.e., a LARGE subset of sales reps) already have a degree in engineering. This means that there are many sales reps with a degree in engineering that are not best performers. Hence choice B weakens the argument.
Posted: 10/21/2013 11:08
I don't understand how choice B weakens the president's argument, when it just seems to summarize his first statement. Help?
Posted: 10/21/2013 11:14
Janessa, please see the answer in the thread.
Posted: 02/27/2014 20:20
How do you know it's small/big subset? The passage in no way mentions that!
Posted: 02/28/2014 10:43
Saeed, please read the explanation carefully. The passage does not mention that, but Choice B mentions "Most".

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In