Discussion

The operation * is defined for all non-zero x and y by the equation Image. Then the expression (x * y)* z is equal to

(A) z xy
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Math - Problem Set D: Defined Functions, question #8

The solution is

Posted: 02/05/2013 23:11
I don't understand the '*' operation. How does the (x/y)z become (x/y)/z? Also, what does the second asterisk do to the equation?
Posted: 02/27/2013 18:40
Allison, it is useful to think of these operators like * in this case as ƒ(). After all, this is a defined function practice set.

Hence x*y = ... can be read as ƒ(x,y) = ...

In this case, ƒ(x,y) = x/y.

So, working from within the parentheses, (x*y) is x/y. Now (x/y)*z = ƒ(x/y , z) = (x/y) divided by z, or x/y * 1/z = x / yz.
Posted: 10/06/2013 11:55
Please can you explain that ?
Image Not Available
Admin
Posted: 10/06/2013 13:02
Hi Mustafa,

The problem is testing how well you can adjust to unusual symbols.

The asterisk, *, is just a random symbol we used to represent the operation. We could have used @ or any other distinctive symbol. Now, the formula x*y = x/y says that you divide the first number (or expression) by the second. For example,

2*5 = 2/5

and (ab)*c = ab/c

So, (x*y)*z =

(x/y)*z = We calculated x*y = x/y first because it is inside the parentheses.

(x/y)/z =

(x/y)(1/z) =

x/yz

The Staff at Nova Press
Posted: 10/06/2013 13:05
Thank you , i appreciate your respond
| Edit
Posted: 10/07/2013 15:44
Thank you, Nova Press. Your contribution is always greatly appreciated and welcome.
| Edit
Posted: 07/06/2014 17:54
I'm still confused. I thought if x/y/z then you would take z's reciprocal and multiply it by x/y
Image Not Available
Admin
Posted: 07/06/2014 18:20
Hi Kathleen,

You described the process correctly.

When an expression like z does not look like a fraction, it helps to write it over 1: z/1.

So, the expression (x/y)/z becomes (x/y)/(z/1).

Now, reciprocating z/1 gives 1/z.

Finally, we form the product between (x/y) and (1/z):

(x/y)(1/z) =

x/yz

The Staff at Nova Press

(To view the solution with mathematical formatting, click the image to the right.)

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In