Discussion

Morgenstern’s argument is flawed in that it
(A)fails to take into account that unhappiness can vary in intensity or significance
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in June 2012 LSAT (PT66): Logical Reasoning A, question #13

The solution is

Posted: 01/02/2013 21:26
Can someone explain this one? My guess was B, because it relies on the assumption that if he doesnt find a job hewill be unhappy. That assumption is paramount to the conclusion "you might as well quit.". So why is it wrong?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/05/2013 14:18
Hi, Jorge -

The trick here is with the phrase "depends on". Morganstern's essential point is that Brooks may as well quit his job. Although he does assume that not finding a job would make Brooks unhappy, he makes this point only to acknowledge a possible objection. If the assumption is false (failure to find a job would not make Brooks unhappy) then Morganstern's conclusion that Brooks may as well quit his job is strengthened, not weakened.

The correct answer is (A) because if failing to find a job would make Brooks significantly MORE unhappy than he already is, then Morganstern's conclusion is invalidated.

Hope this helps! Please post again if you have further questions.

Best,
Lyn
Posted: 01/05/2013 18:27
Lyn,
Thanks for the response. I do see why A is correct, but I still dont see why B is incorrect.

Let me see if I understand this right...when you mention that if the assumption is false, (not finding a job will not make him unhappy)...does this mean that "not finding a job will make him HAPPY" therefore, it would strengthen the argument for him to quit because he will be happy....and that's why B is incorrect? Did I just answer my own question? :-)
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 02/28/2013 22:11
Hi, Jorge -

The assumption that failing to find a job will make Brooks unhappy is reasonable, and is not tantamount to assuming that it is true that Brooks might as well quit. That is why [B] is incorrect.

Best,
Lyn

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In