Discussion

Which one of the following principles, if valid, would most help to justify the sociologist’s argument?
(A)People acting together in institutions can do more good or evil than can people acting individually.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Free Complete Section: LR-B, June '07 LSAT, question #24

The solution is

Posted: 10/27/2012 14:30
I don't understand how E is the correct answer - it's merely stating the 'counter' logic of the sociologist's claim, challenging it, not complementing it.
Posted: 10/27/2012 14:57
The romantics claim that the individuals (elements) are influenced by the institutions (whole). Sociologist disagrees with the romantics, hence he believes the whole does not influence the ingredients. Answer E supports that.
Posted: 10/29/2012 22:27
Oh I see now. Though it took me mulling over it for a day to comprehend it fully. Are there any key words I can look for in the future?
Posted: 10/29/2012 22:40
There are two key phrases in negative forms: "romantics can't be right", because "whole does not influence the elements". The double negatives make it confusing. Just read carefully.
Posted: 09/10/2014 14:03
Can you please explain this answer?
Posted: 09/10/2014 14:10
Sorry. Didn't see the answer above. Thanks for th explanation.
Posted: 09/10/2014 14:19
No problem, Jina. FYI, this June 2007 practice exam is made freely available by the LSAC to everybody. So if you google the keywords in the problem statement, you will most likely find many people explaining the answers.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In