Discussion

If Center 2 recycles three kinds of material, then which one of the following kinds of material must Center 3 recycle?
(A)glass
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in LG Sample 3: Difficult Games, question #10

The solution is

Posted: 09/30/2012 16:40
Please explain
Posted: 10/01/2012 14:20
Michelle, since ONLY ONE center recycles plastic, and C1 recycles the same as C2, C3 has to be the one recycling plastic.
Posted: 12/27/2012 21:30
I believe there are two correct answers here. If Center 2 recycles three materials it MUST be N, W, and G (any other combination would break one of the rules...)....that being said Center 3 MUST recycle Plastic AND tin, therefore both C and D are correct...or am I missing something here?
Posted: 09/01/2013 21:36
N can still show up in c1 and c2 without the need for W to tag along in the same group.

Rule 1 states:
If w-->N
not if N-->w
we only know what happens when N isnt there (which means W wont be there either; contrapostive)
Posted: 09/01/2013 21:31
There are never 2 rights answers on LSAT
Its a MUST BE question
it means that each wrong answer choice could be false (not necessarily true)

If c2 has 3 slots that means c1 has to have 3 slots. (rule #2)

hyp1:
c1: wng c2: wng c3: Pt
(P--->no g
so if c2 has 3 slots that means g is in c2 and c1 and p is in c3) Notice how c3 can have 2 slots instead of 3. This is a key deduction that can help debunk while N or W DO NOT have to be in slot 3.

hyp 2:
c1: tgn c2: tgn c3: Pwn
[so tin doenst have to be in center 3]

(Dont do a mistaken reversal in writing down the rules. Rule number 1 says that IF W--> N. It does not state that if N-->W. So N can be there without w).

Answer key A is incorrect because glass cant be in c3 with plastic as a combination of rule 3 and rule 2 forces glass to c2 and c1.

Answer key B is incorrect because newsprint doesnt necessarily have to be in c3. PT could fill c3 while wng fill in c2 and c3

Answer key C: is correct because in all of the hypotheticals plastic MUST be in c3.

Answer key D: is incorrect because tin could be in c2 and c1 while plastic sits with wn in c3.

Answer key E: is incorrect because w does not necessarily have to be in c3, as p and t can occupy c3 while wng occupy c2 and c1.

Overall, doing templates can really help in doing this question. Hypothetically, by combining rules 2 and 3 you can deduce that plastic MUST be in c3 without having to do templates.

Hope this helps.
Remember, on LSAT there are never two correct answers to the same question.
Posted: 01/17/2014 21:58
I had a question about this one. The phrasing of the question doesn't seem to state directly that all 5 materials must be recycled between the 3 centres. It seems that you could have a solution where only tin and glass (centre 1/2) and tin and plastic (centre 3) were recycled. I'm just wondering if you consider the wording of the question to necessitate that each material is recycled by at least 1 of the 3 plants. It didn't come up in any of these questions but I find LSAT phrasing confusing sometimes.

Also I know that you don't need this bit of information to answer the question since you know because of the rules that plastic has to be used exactly once and groups 1 and 2 will be identical.

Thanks
Posted: 02/01/2014 16:20
Hey Andrew!
Hope I am not late at answering your question.
I am going to give you a tip that id like you to never forget. ALWAYS keep note of the actual game stimulus when attacking each question.

The stimulus reads: exactly five kinds of material are recycled at these recycl. centers.
You got 5 kinds of things going into min. six slots (min two per center, or 3 at most).

Its super important for you to remember that, because chances are, LSAC people are testing you on your stimulus reading skills somewhere in the game. In this case q#10 is a classic example of where you are being tested on your knowledge of the game stimulus.

These are the hypotheticals for this question:

c1: wng c2: wng c3: pt
c1: tgn c2: tgn c3: Pwn

Because each center needs to have 2 kinds at a minumum, (5/6) not only every material shows up, but some repeat. This is a deduction that you have to make right when you are reading the stimulus! your # goal should be to look for restrictions to prove which material/s can infact be repeated.

Hope that helps.

PS. Huge bioshock fan :)
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 02/04/2014 11:17
LSAT Master Master, thanks for your posts. Are you a real-life tutor? If you are, please email us your credentials, and we will upgrade your account for a free pass to our LSAT quiz bank.
| Edit
Posted: 09/20/2017 03:12
In one of the previous questions it was 1cwn 2wn 3tg
Posted: 09/21/2017 00:49
Reply: I got it lol it is r2->r1 not a reciprocal relationship

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In