Discussion

Column A Column B
  The surface area of a cone with height 3 The surface area of a cone with radius 3
(A)Column A is larger
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Math - Diagnostic/Review:, question #20

The solution is

Posted: 09/27/2012 13:29
I realize we don't actually have to know the formulas to the surface area of a cone for this particular problem, but will we need to for the exam?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 09/27/2012 16:38
Krystie, no, you won't need to know surface area of a cone. You do need to know how to calculate areas for rectangular boxes and cylinders.
Posted: 10/17/2012 22:50
What is the surface area of a cone? And wouldn't the formula be a determining factor as to which variable would be a greater in importance?
Posted: 10/18/2012 17:02
Jaewon, you can google the surface area of a cone. You don't need to know that formula for this problem or for the test. This is a trick question. A cone with height 3 can have any kind of radius. A cone with radius 3 can have any kind of height. So there is not enough information to decide, regardless of how the surface area is calculated.
Posted: 07/25/2013 16:23
I'd argue that you DO need to know the formula, in order to know that you don't have enough information to solve it. For ex., I haven't taken geometry in 8 years, so I did not remember a lick of what finding the surface area of a cone entailed. If not for googling ("knowing") that the surface area requires you to know/calculate the radius of the circle, the length of a side of the cone, etc, then I wouldn't have known I didn't have enough information.
Posted: 10/06/2013 13:51
What is the role of the surface area of the cone?
Posted: 10/07/2013 15:36
Mustafa, this is a trick question. In order to calculate the surface area of a cone, you need to know the height of the cone, and the radius of the base circle. In statements A and B, we are only given one piece of information and not the other. The data are not sufficient to answer the question.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In