Discussion

The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument
(A)confuses a condition’s being required for a given result to occur in one case with the condition’s being sufficient for such a result to occur in a similar case
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Free Complete Section: LR-B, June '07 LSAT, question #25

The solution is

Posted: 08/04/2012 09:26
I don't get it. Why E is wrong?
Posted: 08/04/2012 13:27
The cases / environments are similar, not different as E says.
Posted: 08/04/2012 13:30
Actually, the passage does say that the condition (ability to adapt to different environments) is necessary. But by itself it may not be sufficient.
Posted: 01/10/2013 20:53
I dont see why D is wrong either.
Posted: 06/18/2013 14:40
The wordings on answers are confusing.
Posted: 11/16/2013 18:14
Can anyone explain what answer A means in layman terms?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 11/18/2013 09:26
Hi, Brent -

A "necessary" (or required) condition is one that has to be met for the result or conclusion to be true. A "sufficient" condition is one that guarantees the result. For example, the condition "I have access to apples" is a NECESSARY condition to "I am making an apple pie today." It is not, however, a SUFFICIENT condition -- I may very well have access to apples without having any intention of making pie.

Using this example, the presented argument is roughly equivalent to:

"Some people argue that I couldn't have made an apple pie yesterday if I hadn't had any apples available. However, my neighbor down the street has a tree full of ripe apples, and he didn't make pie, so these people are obviously wrong."

Thus [A] is the correct answer.

Hope this helps. Please post again if you have any further questions!

Best,
Lyn
Posted: 12/06/2013 11:52
Fun
| Edit
Posted: 12/06/2013 11:52
It is fun
Posted: 04/13/2014 07:14
I am trying to figure out why A is wrong. I read the instructor's response to the other comments. Are you saying that for necessary, other conditions can be involved, however, the word sufficient would indicate that the one characteristic is all that is required? This is how I understand what was explained. Please let me know if I'm correct.
Posted: 04/21/2014 14:03
Natilie, in the discussion thread, contributor Lyn explained: A "necessary" (or required) condition is one that has to be met for the result or conclusion to be true. A "sufficient" condition is one that guarantees the result. For example, the condition "I have access to apples" is a NECESSARY condition to "I am making an apple pie today." It is not, however, a SUFFICIENT condition -- I may very well have access to apples without having any intention of making pie.

Using this example, the presented argument is roughly equivalent to:

"Some people argue that I couldn't have made an apple pie yesterday if I hadn't had any apples available. However, my neighbor down the street has a tree full of ripe apples, and he didn't make pie, so these people are obviously wrong."

Thus [A] is the correct answer. It is not wrong as you thought.
Posted: 05/13/2014 10:59
I don't understand why a is the answer. I thought survival was the necessary condition and the traits the sufficient
Posted: 05/19/2014 11:48
Hello Seyni, please look up the thread. There was a good explanation done by contributor Lyn Pierce.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In