Discussion

Knowing that she was overshadowed by many other actors, Julianne recognized that she was indulging in a bit of ________ when she wondered whether Michael was the greatest living actor.
(A)irony
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Text Completions: Lesson Set, question #42

The solution is

Posted: 08/02/2012 19:41
How does the statement imply Michael (a male's name) is certainly not the greatest actor? I read it as implying Julianne (a female's name) was not by saying "she was overshadowed."
Posted: 03/17/2013 14:49
And why wouldn't it be an injustice to the other actors, who are better than her, that she was thinking Michael was the best? Why also was it not placing an overemphasis on his talents?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 03/17/2013 20:08
It won't be injustice because she is not giving him any reward in lieu of the other actors. It also won't be an overemphasis since she is not communicating her thought to others - emphasis is only given when you are writing or speaking to others to make a point.
Posted: 03/27/2013 10:05
The question is deliberately misleading by choosing a name normally associated with males and associating it with a female while remaining ambiguous about who it is referring to.
Posted: 03/27/2013 17:31
Hello Spencer. I am pretty sure there was not any intention to mislead. Julianne is a common female name, e.g., celebrities Julianne Hough and Julianne Moore.
Posted: 10/27/2013 16:47
I think that what is going on here is that Michael and Julianne are, indeed, separate people; the first clause is purely contextual, and somewhat confusing. The prompt works just as well with just " Julianne recognized that she was indulging in hyperbole when she wondered..." Folks are just confused by assuming that her knowledge that she is not the greatest has to directly inform her awareness of the hyperbole at hand in her admiration of Michael.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In