Discussion

Two sides of a triangle measure 4 and 12. Which one of the following could equal the length of the third side?
(A)5
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Introduction to Nova GRE Math, question #6

The solution is

Posted: 07/18/2012 21:32
I don't understand how to solve this
Posted: 07/19/2012 00:42
Gabriela, have you taken a look at the Solution from the question itself? Here it is repeated for convenience:

"Each side of a triangle is shorter than the sum of the lengths of the other two sides, and, at the same time, longer than the difference of the two. Hence, the length of the third side of the triangle in the question is greater than the difference of the other two sides (12 – 4 = 8) and smaller than their sum (12 + 4 = 16). Since only choices (C) and (D) lie between the values 8 and 16, the answers are (C) and (D)."
Posted: 08/03/2012 20:07
When does pathagorean theorem not solve for trianges?
Posted: 08/03/2012 20:31
Julie, Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles. In this problem we are not affirmatively told that the triangle is a right one (one of the angles measures 90 degrees).

To answer this question, you go back to the property of a triangle. Imagine a clock with two hands: 4 and 12 in length each. The two hands form the two sides of a triangle. What would be the minimum and maximum lengths of the third side?

In one extreme case, it's close to 12 o'clock. The third side measures slightly higher than the difference between the two hands, ie, 8. In another extreme case, it's close to 6 o'clock. The third side measure slightly lower than the sum between the two sides, ie, 16.
Posted: 08/18/2012 17:57
I don't understand, so there isn't a formula to solve this?
Posted: 10/03/2012 18:33
I tried to use an actual ruler to solve the problem. Even so, it is hard to figure out the value of the other side of the triangle. I hesitate guessing an answer. Any standard formula for this?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 10/03/2012 19:26
Sinai, LJ, there is no formula. You only need to remember the properties of a triangle. It was explained in a prior post in this thread:

Imagine a clock with two hands: 4 and 12 in length each. The two hands form the two sides of a triangle. What would be the minimum and maximum lengths of the third side?

Case 1: it's close to 12 o'clock. The third side measures slightly longer than the difference between the two hands, ie, 8. Case 2: it's close to 6 o'clock. The third side measure slightly shorter than the sum between the two sides, ie, 16.

Try drawing these cases, so you will understand.
Posted: 07/25/2013 13:23
I tried to do this problem using the Pythagorean theorem, but as the question doesn't state that the triangle is a right triangle, I'm unable to get the correct answer. Do you have to use the law of sines or cosines for this?
Posted: 07/25/2013 13:29
Sorry - this was posted before the other comments and explanations had loaded. Please disregard.
Posted: 09/20/2013 14:46
I like ur "clock way" to explain this principle.
Posted: 10/07/2013 17:09
Thanks Sw Vy. Joel is a good contributor. You made him happy with your comment.
Posted: 09/16/2014 14:14
But what if the new side is one of the sides that i wil add and rest to follow the rule?
Posted: 09/25/2015 23:32
I have the option to choose F as an answer, but there is no F in the problem. I'm not sure if this is just a random bug, but I thought you should know about it.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In