Discussion

Each of the following, if true, contributes to an explanation of the increase mentioned above EXCEPT:
(A)The new water heater uses a smaller percentage of the gas used by Jimmy’s household than did the old one.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Free Complete Section: LR-B, June '07 LSAT, question #2

The solution is

Posted: 06/17/2012 12:53
I don't understand why the answer is a
Posted: 06/20/2012 12:37
Hi Charnelle,

Hopefully this helps:

We are looking for something that would not necessarily increase the house's gas bill.

Thus,

B is wrong as more people living in the house require more heat, increasing the gas bill.

C is wrong as the addition of a gas dryer would increase the gas bill.

D is wrong as higher gas rates would increase the gas bill

E is wrong as cold weather creates more of a need for heat, increasing the gas bill.

Having eliminated all of these answers we can choose A, which would not necessarily increase the gas bill, without even reading it.

JKH
Posted: 06/09/2013 14:41
Thank you John for that clear analysis. I got the answer right, but it's nice to see people helping others. My question is this. Are these questions going to be featured on the LSAT? They're significantly less difficult than the one I read through on www.lsac.org.
| Edit
Posted: 06/09/2013 15:08
Kody, thanks for using the app. LSAT, like other standardized tests, has questions of varying levels of difficulty. All questions used in this app are from past LSATs, licensed directly from LSAC. To try your hands at the more difficult questions, look for LG (Difficult) package in the marketplace.
| Edit
Posted: 09/08/2012 12:25
But the question states that the gas bill INCREASED
Posted: 09/09/2012 19:01
Read the question stem again. B-E are all reasons to why the bill would increase. A is the only reason that answers the EXCEPT portion of the question stem.
Posted: 01/01/2013 12:09
But this doesn't make much of sense considering the fact that we are talking about Jimmy's gas bill going up in right after he got a new gas water heater and the choices given are talking about uncle moving in with him or the gas company
raising the bill just because jimmy has got new gas water heater. We can't just inject facts with are not given and consider those in my answer choices
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/01/2013 16:49
The only logical explanation I can find is that the question refers to the increased efficiency instead of the increased gas bill, that would make it, considering all context, an illogical question.

Niels
Posted: 01/29/2013 18:12
If the new heater uses less gas it would not make the bill go up.
All other answer could make the bill go up.
Posted: 02/04/2013 07:45
I don't understand why a is the answer especially if there is an increase in the gas bill. In my understanding either the old gas heater was not efficient and did not use enough gas to get the job done, or the there an outside factor made the gas heater use more energy than usual.
Posted: 02/07/2013 10:06
But in the question it says his gas bill increased after the new water heater was installed.
Posted: 06/09/2013 14:44
"Each of the following, if true, contributes to the increase mentioned above EXCEPT:"
Posted: 05/22/2013 08:58
We can assume that when the NEW heater was installed, it would be more efficient and the gas bill would be less expensive.

But it is MORE expensive. The question asks us to find the odd answer that does NOT help us figure out why it is more expensive. And two things affect how high his gas bill would be: how much gas is used (more gas=higher bill) and cost for gas (higher rate=higher bill)

B. it would be more expensive if his uncle moved in because they would use twice the gas (more gas)

C. If he starts doing laundry at home, he is using more gas than before (more gas)

D. If the gas company makes gas more expensive and he uses the same amount then the gas bill will be higher.

E. A cold winter forces him to use more gas to stay warm (more gas).

Now let's look at A. If the new water heater uses a smaller percentage (less gas) than the old water heater, would the gas bill go up or down? Surely we would expect it to go down (less gas is used). So this is the only answer that does not make it clear why the gas bill increases.

Hope this helped.
DS
Posted: 05/23/2013 22:21
I don't understand this answer
Posted: 05/23/2013 22:25
Oh I get it, the stem says that if all the answers are correct knowing they are a possibility for an increase in the bill EXCEPT ONE OF THE ANSWER IS NOT POSSIBLE. Got it!!
Posted: 05/31/2013 10:39
I don't get the 2nd question
Posted: 06/06/2013 22:50
Yi Bu, you meant the second answer? Another person in the household would cause the gas usage to increase.
Posted: 10/20/2013 03:05
Utilize process of elimination In this question and you'll find the answer. Look out for the choice that would not help explain why the gas bill increased. Answer A is perfect here as it provides evidence to show why the bill should have actually decreased. this goes against the conclusion drawn. This is the answer we're looking for

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In