Discussion

A unit square is circumscribed about a circle. If the circumference of the circle is , what is the value of q?

(A)1
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Math - Diagnostic: Test / Review, question #19

The solution is

Posted: 05/29/2012 21:46
I am confused. Can you explain more please?

Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 05/30/2012 14:15
A unit square is a square with side length = 1. The problem states that a circle fits right inside the square, so we know the radius of the circle is .5.

The circumference of a circle can be calculated using the formula: 2πR, R being the radius. The circumference of this particular circle is qπ.

2•π•R = qπ
2•π•.5 = qπ
1•π = qπ
q = ...
Posted: 02/03/2014 19:01
I just con't understand why the circle is inside the square??
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 02/04/2014 10:44
Qifei, the problem says the circle is circumscribed about the square. If you google "Circumscribed" it means to draw (a figure) around another, touching it at points but not cutting it. Hence the circle is touching the square at points but it is not cutting it.

I suggest you continue practicing the SAT and when you can't understand a word, you should use a dictionary to find the meaning.
Posted: 10/22/2014 10:19
Then how to describe the situation that the circle is outside the square?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 10/22/2014 18:47
Liu Xiao, there are many possible situations when the circle is outside of the square. There is no specific vocabulary for it, just what you use: the circle is outside the square. But that will not be a very good test question.
Posted: 12/01/2015 03:26
So how do we know whether the circle is inscribed in the square or vice versa, as I interpreted it the opposite to the answer
Image Not Available
Admin
Posted: 12/01/2015 03:33
Hi Mohammad,

The setup says, 'the square is circumscribed about a circle,' which means the square is outside the circle (or that the circle is inside the square).

Nova Press
Posted: 12/02/2015 11:40
Ok, so inscribed means within the square and circumscribed is on the outside?
Image Not Available
Admin
Posted: 12/02/2015 21:52
Hi Mohammad,

Yes. Informally, 'inscribe' means to draw a figure within another figure, and 'circumscribe' means to draw a figure around another figure.

Nova Press
Posted: 12/03/2015 05:24
Reply: thanks
| Edit

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In