Discussion

Consider all the choices and select all that apply. It can be inferred from the passage that
(A)research efforts on cancer will be hindered if shark populations are threatened.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Reading - Extra Reading:, question #12

The solution is

Posted: 05/28/2012 13:56
I. Old understand C being wrong if the best choice must be made but it says pick all that apply, although I could only chose one on your application. However, choice does not seem wrong. Yes the environmentalists are angry with the fisherman, but who buys the fins, the chefs who cook with them. We are supposed to make applications. Is that not an application? Surely the environmentalists are not only mad at the fisherman. They fish for fins because the chefs are willing to pay the, handsomely for the. The passage mentions high demand in Hong Kong. That is like saying that environmentalists are only upset a carmakers who make big SUVs and not people who purchase them. It is frustrating that we are supposed to apply the passage thoughtfully but at the same time not read into it too much. I don' t understand when to make inferences.
Posted: 05/28/2012 14:01
I actually do not see anything in the passage that says environmentalists are mad at fisherman. It just says they are mad at finning and mobilized new regs. It does say that chefs use the fins and that Hong Kong is paying as much for the fin as a whole shark because of the demand. That would lead me to believe that there is some anger at chefs who use the fins and not just fisherman. I really don't understand this answer.
Posted: 08/03/2012 00:34
B is obvious based on the last paragraph. I likewise would have selected BC, but the app only allowed one selection. C is only supported based on inference of paragraph structure and is not directly stated, so B is obviously better. I agree, I don't understand when to draw inferences and when to only rely on observations.
Posted: 02/18/2013 07:21
It says select all, but there's just one choice that can be picked. Same for other questions of this type in this section.
Posted: 02/27/2013 17:29
Hi Asa, others. I am sorry that the instruction could have been stated better if the answer choice is only 1 instead of multiple. We informed the editor / publisher of the problem set.
Posted: 03/29/2013 09:34
In one of the previous questions, would was too strong, here the answer is "will" even though the author questions it, why is this an exception?

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In