Discussion

Consider each of the options, and select all that apply. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would consider which of the following to be good examples of “dualistic thinking”?
(A)People who think “there is a right way and a wrong way to do things”
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Reading - Extra Reading:, question #1

The solution is

Posted: 05/25/2012 17:44
I am not sure why b is false. If teenagers believe they are right and adults are wrong, they are thinking in a dualistic way, are they not? Also I do not see the quote that you use in for B concerning dualistic thinkers deference for adult authority.
Posted: 05/25/2012 17:46
The quote from answer B is "slaves to the generralizations of their authorities." I don't see it in the text.
Posted: 08/05/2012 21:41
I can not find a reason that B is wrong. The explanation does not match the text.
Posted: 08/05/2012 22:23
Let us take a look at this and correct it if there is an issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Posted: 08/06/2012 20:11
Cef Usa, I do not see anything wrong with the explanation. Quoted: "This is an extension question. Statement A is true. This is the essential characteristic of dualistic (right/wrong) thinkers. Statement B is false. Dualistic thinkers grant authority (right thinking) to adults and adult figures. This is clear from the sentence, “These students are slaves to the generalizations of their authorities.” Statement C is true since Dualistic thinkers believe their group is right and the other group is wrong. The answer, therefore, is (A) and (C)."
Posted: 08/06/2012 20:13
I see the problem now. There is a missing sentence in the passage as Matthew Lord had pointed out. Let me consult the author.
Posted: 08/07/2012 01:06
Here is a correction from the author (we will also correct this in the next updated version). We apologize for the confusion. The paragraph with the missing sentence is as follows:

Most students arrive at [college] using “discrete, concrete, and absolute categories to understand people, knowledge, and values.” These students live with a dualistic view, seeing “the world in polar terms of we-right-good vs. other-wrong-bad.” These students cannot acknowledge the existence of more than one point of view toward any issue. There is one “right” way. And because these absolutes are assumed by or imposed on the individual from external authority, they cannot be personally substantiated or authenticated by experience. These students are slaves to the generalizations of their authorities.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In