Discussion

The interviewer was startled to hear the otherwise gracious author make the ________ remark: “My novels are too sophisticated for the American public.”
(A)apt
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Text Completions: Lesson Set, question #23

The solution is

Posted: 05/20/2012 15:53
Bombastic means arrogant and the remark is arrogant. Does that not work?
Image Not Available
Admin
Posted: 05/20/2012 17:28
Matthew, it works, but as you noticed in your other comments, given the choice between an answer that works and the best answer, it is prudent to choose the best answer. If the sentence had been "... the otherwise humble author make the ...." then I agree with you that "bombastic" would have been a better choice.
Posted: 12/15/2012 09:06
But enigmatic is not the opposite of gracious
Posted: 12/15/2012 09:07
Bombastic makes more sense
Posted: 03/07/2013 00:18
Bombastic is the best choice unless enigmatic is meant to mean puzzling.... And that still doesn't fit well with the sentence.
Posted: 03/14/2013 21:57
Enigmatic means contrary to character, so
The remark is contrary to gracious not the actual word enigmatic... If that makes sense to anyone else, it didn't to me at first... I still think bombastic works better.
Posted: 03/27/2013 09:30
I agree bombastic sounds better here. Enigmatic could fit any description out of character but not provide the contrast to gracious.
Posted: 08/30/2013 05:23
Yes, the comment from Nova Press inadverdently agrees with the view that bombastic makes more sense, as the question actually states "the otherwise...."

Posted: 10/27/2013 16:26
I agree with the general sentiments expressed here- that bombastic seems to provide the greatest contrast to gracious, and characterize the author's remarks. Can we get a response here.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In