Discussion

Which of the following is the conclusion of the argument above?
(A)It’s hardly surprising
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Press: Set A - Intro to GMAT Logic: Premises and Conclusions, question #6

The solution is

Posted: 05/17/2012 15:41
What does "so jaded society" mean?
Posted: 05/17/2012 15:59
Xiao Meng, thanks for using the app. "jade" here is used as a verb, not as the noun that is a kind of precious stone in Chinese culture. As a verb it means "make tired due to too much of it". For example, when you work for a company, and you're up for a promotion several times, but you keep getting rejected, then you can say, "I am jaded, because my boss keeps nominating me for a promotion, but her supervisors keep rejecting it."

The "so" in front of "jaded" is used as an adverb, which means "very much" or "truly". So the whole phrase "has so jaded society" means: "has made society so tired (of too much violent death depicted on television)".

I hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate us in the App Store if you like the app and explanations.
Posted: 09/09/2012 03:48
I chose answer C and was hesitant to choose D in this case. It seem's like the conclusion is violent crime permeates modern society as a result of tv violence. Why is it more correct to choose that the conclusion was implied?
Posted: 09/12/2012 13:43
Mohsen, C is merely a restatement of one of the statements in the paragraph. The conclusion is that there is an implied causality between "violence on TV" and "violent crimes in society".
Posted: 08/24/2016 01:48
I chose c. I dont understand why the answer is d???
Image Not Available
Admin
Posted: 08/24/2016 02:08
Hi Amber,

Choice (C) is just a statement of fact that crime permeates society. The author is arguing that something caused ''violent crime to permeate modern society,'' and she implies (suggests) that ''violence depicted on television contributes to society's high rate of violence.'' This is her conclusion.

Nova Press
Posted: 08/24/2016 02:26
thank u!

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In