Discussion

Example:
Although the warring parties had settled a number of disputes, past experience made them ________ to express optimism that the talks would be a success.
(A)rash
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Text Completions: Free Lesson Set, question #4

The solution is

Posted: 05/03/2012 12:48
I thought ambivalent could be a justified answer as its definition can mean uncertain. How do you decide between ambivalent and reticent?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 05/03/2012 13:32
Stephanie, good question. As mentioned in the pre-explanation, this question is an example of a contrast question. With "Although" in the beginning of the sentence, we are looking for a word that has the opposite meaning of some word or phrase in the sentence. The word that has the strongest meaning against "optimism" and "success" would be reticent. Ambivalence would have been a good choice, but it would not be as strong, since, as you pointed out, it can be for or against.
Posted: 05/03/2012 15:19
Thank you.
Posted: 06/08/2012 05:31
Who can tell me that what is the mean by "settled a number of disputes"? That means the disputes have been solved or the disputes have been existed?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 06/08/2012 12:51
Carey, it means that the warring parties have agreed to solutions regarding the disputes.
Posted: 06/08/2012 13:15
Thanks a lot.
Posted: 09/29/2013 13:57
I really thought ambivalent was the best option as the the sentence implies that they are uncertain.
Posted: 10/07/2013 16:06
Ambivalent is an ok option, but is not the best. The keyword "Although" sets up the answer to be the opposite of the other sentiment(s) in the sentence, such as "optimism for success", and "some settlement of issues in the past".
Posted: 10/19/2013 21:31
Thank you so much, now I can start to pay attention to subtle differences.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In