Discussion

The language Q has the following properties:

(1)   ABC is the base word.

(2)  If C immediately follows B, then C can be moved to the front of the code word to generate another word.

Which one of the following is a code word in language Q?

(A)   CAB

(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Introduction to Nova GRE Math, question #13

The solution is

Posted: 04/19/2012 12:22
dont know y
Posted: 04/19/2012 19:40
Yishan, all you have to do is follow the instruction of the question. Start with ABC. Since C follows B, move C in front of A, which gives you CAB.
Posted: 06/21/2012 16:59
This is confusing because the instructions say that you move the C "from" the code word, meaning/implying that the word where C follows B IS the code word. I move C "from" the code word to make a new word: CAB. The new word I have created is not a code word, by definition, because it doesn't have a C following a B. That's how I read it - Can you help me understand?
Posted: 07/09/2013 09:29
This was also where my confusion came from.
Posted: 07/09/2013 10:56
Kayleen, "the new word I have created is not a code word, by definition, because it doesn't have a C following a B." Nowhere in the rules is stated that if it doesn't have a C following a B, it's not a code word. It just says that the C can be moved to the front to form a new word, if it follows a B.
| Edit
Posted: 11/29/2013 21:19
Exactly what I'm thinking.
Posted: 06/21/2012 17:02
Quick follow up: I reread it & it actually says not "from", but "to the front of the code word." Which doesn't change my question. I just wanted to be sure it's clear why I'm confused.
Posted: 06/22/2012 13:18
So then if I see an item like this, do I assume that the word that has been manipulated is the code word? I guess that's what I'm wondering - what/where IS the definition of the code word? Because clearly I misread it & thought it was the pre-manipulation version of the word, not the post- version.
Posted: 10/22/2012 12:50
Carrie, a code word can be both pre or post manipulation. Rule 1 says the base word is ABC. So we always start with that word. Then we follow Rule 2 to generate the next word. There may be other rules, but that's beyond this question. Thank you for using the app.
Posted: 10/22/2012 10:33
Why couldn't the answer be CCC? It still begins with c.
Posted: 10/22/2012 12:47
Elizabeth, you have to start with the base word. The base word is ABC.
Posted: 10/22/2012 12:45
Carrie,
"C follows B" is NOT the definition of the code word.
Posted: 11/24/2012 10:00
I'm with Elizabeth... Why can't it be CCC?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 11/25/2012 07:07
Janice,
We'll convert the conditions into definitions
Def. 1 ( base = A B C )
Def. 2 ( BC ) ? C = 1

Answer A. CAB doesn't conflict with any of the definitions, this is correct.
Answer B. BCA Conflicts with def. 2, we'll implement it and see it becomes CBA
Answer C. AAA Conflicts with def. 1 and can't be solved
Answer D. ABA Conflicts with def. 1 and can't be solved
Answer E. CCC Conflicts with def. 1 and can't be solved

Niels

PS.
For clarity, there's no path one can take, that starts with base ABC (regardless in which order) and ends with CCC, given the definitions.
Posted: 09/08/2014 09:34
Reply: I realize this is old and quite possibly no one is even using it, but I thought I'd try. If CBA had been an answer choice, would it have also been correct?
Posted: 09/09/2014 17:08
Lauren, we can't really say because we are only given two properties or rules. If we are given other properties, CBA may as well be a correct word in this very limited language. For now, we only know that it begins with ABC, and that C can be moved to the front if it follows B. So, we can't really answer your question definitely. Fortunately, that is not a choice.
| Edit
Posted: 03/01/2013 10:39
"C can move to the front of the code word" is pretty much annoying if I can't find whether C move to the front of A or B.

Is "code word" reffering entier ABC?

If so, that will explain enough I guess.

Posted: 09/20/2013 14:58
Thanks Carie! That was really tricky!
Posted: 09/11/2014 07:27
What is the difference of code word and base word?
Posted: 09/11/2014 07:45
A code word is any word. A base word is the first code word, i.e., ABC in this case.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In