Discussion

Which one of the following is most analogous to the literary achievements that the author attributes to Dove?
(A)A chef combines nontraditional cooking methods and traditional ingredients from disparate world cuisines to devise new recipes.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Free Sample 3: Moderate Passages (x2), question #2

The solution is

Posted: 04/08/2012 15:15
Would someone please help with why choice A wouldn't make the same argument as choice D?
Posted: 04/10/2012 02:23
Hi. Choice A and D are the closest. However, D is a stronger analogy, because jazz and ballet, like narrative and lyric, are two different genres with clearly distinct structures, teaching / learning disciplines, histories, ways of evoking emotions, performance traditions, etc. Whereas in A, it isn't clear if the different styles of cuisines are that different in nature. Finally, it is very common in the cooking world to create new cuisine by experimenting. It's done by chefs and cooks everyday. But it is much less common in performance arts.
Posted: 11/12/2012 13:25
So to answer this question you would need to understand and have prior knowledge of the performance arts?
Posted: 11/13/2012 00:39
Hi Ben, no you don't need to have prior knowledge of performance arts. It's an analogy, so the closest analogy is D, where two genres are being fused by an author / creator to invent an "in-between" category of creation.
Posted: 12/28/2012 20:38
I still think both are correct. I understand your logic based on the words "defies convention", but it could be argued that the Chef example is also on the same boat because of combining "non-traditional" ingredients with "traditional," which are similar opposites as the poetry/fiction example in the narrative. I read "non-traditional" to be out of the ordinary; something that would not be widely accepted if mixed with "traditional" recipes. Like if I were to put some exotic spicy pepper from India into an American apple pie. Non-traditional with traditional. I see that as very similar to the poetry/fiction...
Image Not Available
Tutor
Posted: 01/04/2016 13:05
I'm replying to this 3 years later for the sake of others facing this question.

If we agree that the choice is between A) and D), I think the key is a close reading of choice A): The chef combines "nontraditional cooking methods" and "traditional ingredients" from disparate cuisines. Methods and ingredients are not parallel concepts, but the answer choice seems to obscure that by using parallel adjectives (nontraditional and traditional). I think that is a reading comprehension trap.

The reading passage compares parallel literary genres (poetry and fiction), and Rita Dove's work is an example of fusing those parallel genres.

Thus choice D) seems best to me. In that choice, a choreographer choreographs dances that combine elements of ballet and jazz dance - two parallel genres of dance.

With due respect, Arcadia Feignman's approach seems more like a way to rationalize the answer we already know is correct rather than fish it out without prior knowledge. You don't need to know or consider the teaching disciplines or performance traditions of ballet. Focusing on the words "disparate world cuisines," "nontraditional," and "traditional" are traps in that answer choice in my opinion. Just focus on the fusion of "methods" and "ingredients" and that should get you home.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In