Discussion

Define a @ b to be a3 − 1. What is the value of x @ 1?

(A)0
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Math - Diagnostic: Test / Review, question #29

The solution is

Posted: 04/03/2012 13:06
Not understanding this concept too well help would be appreciated.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 04/03/2012 13:39
Sean, this is an example of Defined Function questions. In this type of questions, the author will define a function using symbols such as @, *, etc. to confuse you.

But if you understand functions, you can rewrite it to understand it better. For example, a@b is a function involving the variables a and b, i.e., ƒ(a,b) =a^3 - 1. Since b does not really play a role, we can write it simply as a function of a, i.e., ƒ(a) = a^3 - 1. Hence x@1 = ƒ(x,1) = ƒ(x) = x^3 - 1.
Posted: 11/03/2012 00:05
I still don't understand! Do we have "@" symbol in Math?
Posted: 11/03/2012 03:15
Channy, in math you can invent symbols to define a function. In this exercise set the functions are represented by various symbols like @, *, etc. In particular this question, the symbol @ is used to represent the function. In standard notation, a function that operates on a variable x is written as f(x). A function that operates on the variables x and y is written as f(x,y).
Posted: 12/05/2012 11:50
If there's no b mentioned in the function, then the answer should be simple. The answer is (C).
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 12/06/2012 10:07
Federico,
That's no help to someone unable to declare b.

Niels

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In