Discussion

The main idea of the passage is that
(A)Olympic mythology evolved from ancient rituals and gave rise to early philosophy
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Reading: Introduction, question #1

The solution is

Posted: 03/21/2012 19:49
I'm not sure how other to ask this but than to say, I thought it was a! Can anyone give some insight into why it was b? I've got a lot of brushing up to do on my Reading skills apparently!
Posted: 03/22/2012 00:11
Krista, the explanation provides a long and good discussion. I suggest you review it carefully. This is a hard main idea question. Don't feel bad and keep on practicing!
Posted: 04/19/2012 10:33
I agree with Krista. Your explanation of why the answer was b instead of a was unsatisfactory, and your dismissive tone to Krista's comment was unhelpful.
Posted: 04/19/2012 19:44
Oh, no! I didn't mean to be dismissive to Krista. Sorry Bridget, and Krista. Please understand that the author of the content is different from the people who develop the app, and different from the contributors who are answering questions on the forums. I am not the author of the explanation. What I meant really was that as as a contributor I am not able to explain any better than the author did.
Posted: 11/28/2014 06:33
Reply:
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 04/20/2012 02:04
Let me try this one. Maybe I can do better than the author of the problem / explanation. The final paragraph actually gives all the hints. Let's dissect it.

In classical times the need of a creed higher than the Olympian was felt, and Aeschylus, Sophocles and Plato finally evolved from the pleasant but crude polytheism the idea of a single, supreme and righteous Zeus.

:. "evolved ... the idea of a single, supreme and righteous Zeus" -> monotheistic impulses

But the decay of Olympus led to a revival of old and the invasion of new magic cults among the people, ...

:. "decay of Olympus" -> disintegration of classical mythology

...while some philosophers were looking to a vision of the uniformity of nature under divine and universal law.

:. this is rephrased in B as "early moves toward viewing nature as ordered by divine and universal law"

So the ideas in B are expressed in the last paragraph. It's just the passage is really dense, and the way it is written is not always easy to read. We have to be really careful when reading. In the real test, we can't skim when reading, and should try to break long and complex paragraphs by marking them into manageable chunks of ideas. On the other hand, we also have to pace ourselves so we don't get stuck in one area.

Thanks for using the app, ladies. I hope this helps.
Posted: 07/28/2014 06:49
Reply: That's great explanation!
Posted: 06/04/2012 15:32
Very helpful dissection. Thanks.
Posted: 01/06/2013 20:58
Thank you for explaining because I really thought the answer was A as well. Just started this app and love it already.
Posted: 01/07/2013 19:41
Pretoria, thanks for your kind comment. If you can, please help us out by rating the app in the App Store.
Posted: 06/01/2013 10:57
Joel that really helps thanks
Posted: 09/20/2013 16:55
Thanks Joel
Posted: 04/21/2014 09:16
I answered B which is correct. I just followed my instinct, I don't understand why B is the correct one though.
Posted: 04/21/2014 09:17
I answered B which is correct. I just followed my instinct, I don't understand why B is the correct one though.
Posted: 04/21/2014 13:36
Hichem, please review the discussion thread, especially the analysis provided by our contributor Joel Brainer. Many found it very helpful.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In