Discussion

By stating, “even as we are conscious of our victory, we feel that we are, in a strange way, losing”, the author means that
(A)some of the old governments are still unwilling to grant freedom at the individual level.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Reading - The Six Questions:, question #6

The solution is

Posted: 03/11/2012 00:36
I am curious about the answer to this question as there is no mention of the retention of old political parties and it's impossible to infer it from the text provided?
Posted: 03/12/2012 19:15
William, thanks for posting. I am offering my opinion here not as the publisher or author of this test question. The author's solution does not offer enough explanation either.

- I eliminate A because it says "old governments are still ..." whereas we know from the passage that the old governments are replaced.
- I also eliminate E because the first paragraph clearly mentions "the death of communism -- is taking place", which means that there is no going back to the dead ideology.
- I eliminate B, even though the first part of the sentence "some parts ... are not strong enough" is tempting, because of the phrase "...as a single federation". There is nothing in the passage that suggests the former communist countries had existed as a single federation

I am left with either C, or D.

Since the passage clearly mentions that "we are in a moment of transition", and in the third paragraph "whose institutions were created in great pain", I can confidently surmise that new parties have been created to replace the communists. So I eliminate D.

C is not explicitly mentioned, but it is the one that is the best match to answer the question.
Posted: 09/07/2013 10:25
Hi, I've saw your explanation.
But I still think the option C states too much detail which wasn't delivered in the whole passage.
Or there's a sentence suggested this way and I miss it?
Posted: 09/13/2013 16:03
Ariel, I agree with you that the choice C states too much detail. There is no explicit statement in the passage that supports it, yet it is the best choice that we have given the other choices disagree with the passage's content.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In