Discussion

Based on Art's statements above, which of the following can be concluded?
(A)If you were charmed by cubism, you could not have hated Picasso.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Exercise Set 3: Intro to Only If / If And Only If, question #5

The solution is

Posted: 02/02/2012 20:37
The condition in the question stipulated that "nearly" everyone loved him, so how - if someone did not satisfy the one qualification - would that guarantee that one MUST love him? Doesn't the "nearly" mitigate the certainty of it?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 02/03/2012 10:21
Amber,

The relevant line is:
"Only people who hated cubism failed to be charmed by Picasso."

Diagrammed out, we get:
~(Charmed by PP) --> Hate Cubism

The contrapositive of this conditional is:
~(Hate Cubism) --> Charmed by PP

The answer comes from the contrapositive.

Make sense?
Posted: 04/11/2012 15:12
I saw that in the contrapositive, but still was thrown by the 'everyone he came into contact with' thinking that might have an influence. Maybe I'm justify my wrong choice here?
Posted: 04/11/2012 23:20
Colleen, LSAT is a difficult test and it's normal to want to justify our incorrect choice. As mentioned in the previous post, the only relevant line is "only people who hated cubism ..."
Posted: 04/12/2012 14:00
I was also confused by this answer choice. The premise states that everyone "he came in contact with" was charmed but the answer choice does not say anything about having met Picasso or not so how can we just assume that in the answer choice we had come into contact with him? Doesn't that go against the standard rule of LSAT not to assume anything that is not explicitly stated?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 04/13/2012 17:27
Heather,

You don't actually need the first line at all. The answer comes straight from the second line, the contrapositive of which is:
~(Hate Cubism) --> Charmed by PP

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In