Discussion

The argument depends on assuming that
(A)the proportion of a seabird’s diet consisting of fish was not as high, on average, in the 1880s as it is today
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Free Complete Section: LR-B, June '07 LSAT, question #11

The solution is

Posted: 01/24/2012 11:55
I do not understand why this answer is correct. I am failing to see the logic behind it
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/24/2012 12:24
Melissa, not only should the seabirds saltwater fish consumption be a constant factor in order to get a meaningful measurement for comparison but also the preservation of the mercury levels within the stuffed feathers.
If the mercury level in the stuffed feathers would decrease each decade by 5% and a century later a measurement is taken and compared to the mercury-level of a seabird today and one would draw the conclusion 'the difference is in the amount of mercury in the saltwater fish' it would make no sense.

Niels
Posted: 07/25/2012 22:59
I'm still not satisfy with the answer
Posted: 07/25/2012 23:17
Audrey, actually Niels (a voluntary contributor) explained it pretty well. I can add a little.

This is a Necessary Assumption question. Think of it this way: if the assumption is not true (by negating it), then the argument cannot be true. In this case, negating E makes it: "The process used to preserve birds in 1880s DECREASED the amount of mercury in the birds' feathers".

Then the argument that "mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than they were 100 years ago" cannot be true.

Choice B is the only other tempting one, but the text does not say anything about pollution so you can ignore it.

In the future, please be specific about what you do not understand. Thanks.
Posted: 01/25/2013 00:57
Thanks for putting in those terms. Makes it very clear how E is the correct answer.
Posted: 01/25/2013 01:33
Nadia, you are welcome.
Posted: 05/27/2013 02:53
Why is it implausible to believe that the diet of seabirds has changed over the last 100 years? There are too many factors involved to assume that they have in general stayed the same.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 05/27/2013 08:03
Matt, the question is:"The argument depends on assuming that." This is the argument for the conclusion made. If it were the difference in diet then the argument would make no sense...

"These results indicate that mercury levels in saltwater fish are higher now than ..."
This conclusion can't follow from the argument where the difference would be the diet.

Niels
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 05/27/2013 17:11
Matt, some advise that might apply to you in the future:
There are two kinds of perfectionists, one which will refine finished work where others say it's done, good or good enough and theres the other which refines unfinished work and basically leaves him a moron.

If you discover like me, you're a moron too, start finishing things first ;)

Niels

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In