Discussion

If Norton is scheduled for the fifth performance, which one of the following could be true?
(A)Jamie is scheduled for the sixth performance.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Sequencing: Lesson Set 3 (of 5) - Conditionals, question #19

The solution is

Posted: 01/21/2012 01:37
This is impossible. The rule 2 extreamly proves that L can't be fourth. Arcadia pls. explain.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/21/2012 03:38
If ( Talitha is third ) then ( Norton is fifth )

Norton's place doesn't depend on Talitha, and only when Talitha's place is third it implies Norton is fifth, so when Talitha is not third we just can't tell Norton's place from the 'Talitha-rule.' (But the rule remains true 'Talitha will only take third place when Norton is fifth' -> fine by me ;)

Niels
Posted: 01/25/2012 02:37
Tade,

As you know from touching the "Reduce" button, the Rules can be written:

R 1: [K, J]
R 2: M...P
R 3: L:3 → N:5
R 4: P:2 or P:5

Let's walk through step-by-step:

I. The Stem Rule places "N" 5th (N:5), so we know we MUST have P:2 (by Rule 4).

II. And we know that "M" must come before "P" (Rule 2). So, since we have P:2, we must have M:1.

III. Since we know who MUST perform 1st, 2nd, and 5th, let's see if we can eliminate an answer choice or two. We know "K" cannot be 2nd, so we can strike answer choice (B).

IV. And we know that "M" must be 1st, so we can also strike choice (D).

V. If "M" must be 1st, then "O" cannot be. Strike choice (E).

VI. Now all we have left are choices (A) and (C). Let's look at choice (A) more closely. If "J" is 6th, then "K" MUST be 5th. But we know that cannot happen, because the Stem Rule has "N" 5th. So choice (A) is out.

VII. All that's left is choice (C). You can test it out if you'd like--just to make sure it "could be true." But I wouldn't, because you've already eliminated all of the other answer choices. Just select it and move on.

If this was helpful, let me know.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In