Discussion

Based upon the information provided in the passage, which one of the following statements must be false?
(A)Senator Smith has lined up only five votes, and Senator White drops her interĀ­est in the committee chairmanship.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Press: Set E - If/Then Logic Practice, question #11

The solution is

Posted: 01/10/2012 19:02
If Senator Smith does not have enough support lined up, Senator White will look into his voting record for inconsistencies. This seems to directly imply that White will not look into Smith's record if she has not already verified that Smith does not have at least 20 supporters, which would support answer C, right?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/11/2012 02:45
Dean, this is not my field of expertise. When visited the question and I'll make them first before I answer, I choose D, the correct one. I dropped C because of the unknown quantity;
If you plug in a number for 'several', let's say 2, would that be enough info to conclude Sen. Smith has the 20?
Based on this we can't say for sure whether this is a 'must be false'.

Niels
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/11/2012 12:12
Dean, do you know that you can press the Solution button and see the explanation in details? BTW, the keyword for this problem is "must", as Niels pointed out. Hence we can cast the question positively: "can this scenario be true?" instead of "must this scenario be false?". Statement C only says that several votes are out of favor, but it does not say that White is looking into the voting record. D, on the other hand, cannot be true.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/11/2012 12:26
A decision tree for the problem.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/11/2012 12:28
Btw, scroll down to see the diagram.
Posted: 08/18/2013 14:03
Why it is not (A)?

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In