Discussion

Determine whether or not there is an error in the underlined portion of the sentence above. If there is no error, select answer choice "A".
(A)Had the President’s Administration not lost the vote on the budget reduction package, his first year in office would have been rated an A.
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Nova Press: Set A - Pronoun Errors, question #1

The solution is

Posted: 12/08/2011 09:36
From what I know, A possesive pronoun can refer to a possesive noun.
So in this case, "his" can refer to President ( from President's administration ).
If the above logic is correct then Why is answer choice A wrong
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 12/09/2011 00:06
Abhi,

The problem with choice (A) is that "his" refers to an "administration."

Here's a paraphrase of choice (A), with the important elements in caps:
The ADMINISTRATION lost the vote, and as a result HIS first year in office was not rated an A.

As you know, an administration is neither a he nor a she. An administration is an "it."
So the issue here is that a singular, masculine pronoun is used to refer to a *group* that has *no* masculine/feminine value.
Posted: 08/06/2012 01:56
Since the administration is an it, there should be no unclear pronoun I answer D. Why is it not correct?
Posted: 08/06/2012 19:34
Jessie, answer D has the pronoun "his" in the subordinate clause, which refers to the President. The main clause contains no subject or object that refers to the President.
Posted: 12/20/2012 03:31
I had a hard time selecting an answer to this one because I felt there is a flaw in each choice. I don't agree with answer E because I feel that E had swapped the meaning of the sentence. The cause-effect went from the administration lost the vote causing the President's rating to not be an A to the President lost the vote causing the Administration's rating to not be an A.
Posted: 02/06/2013 04:17
I got it right?unbelievable.....
Posted: 02/24/2015 13:56
+ 1 Quyen Lam
Posted: 05/22/2015 13:38
Yes, I don't think this was the best written question.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In