Discussion

If Center 1 is the only recycling center that recycles wood, then which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of the kinds of material that one of the recycling centers recycles?
(A)plastic, tin
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in LG Sample 3: Difficult Games, question #13

The solution is

Posted: 11/29/2011 18:44
If one of the rules clearly states if a recycle center is recycling wood, newsprint must be recycle at the same place, how come C is not the correct answer?
Posted: 02/11/2012 23:14
I'm gonna make it simpler and explain to you why Answer choice C is incorrect. If center 2 had N and T (abbreviated for newspaper and tin respectively) then center 1 would have to have N T and W; meaning that center 3 would have glass and plastic which is forbidden. If center 3 had N and T then center 2 would have P and G which is forbidden....so yeah the answer had to be P and T for center 3 cuz it implies center 2 has N and G and that center 1 has N W and G; all of which is acceptable.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 11/30/2011 15:11
Hi Ielisa,

Let's start with what we know.

We know that W is in C1, and C1 is the only Center with W. (Stem Rule)

We also know that W → N. So C1 must have W + N.

Now, recall that C2 must have at least two items, and that C1 can have at most three items.
Since ALL items recycled in C2 must also be recycled in C1, we can infer that N must be recycled in C2.
(This must be true because the other item in C1, Wood, can ONLY be recycled in C1, and there can be AT MOST one item in C1 that is not also in C2.)

So now we know the following:
C1: N, W
C2: N
C3:

Another thing we know is that the 2nd item at C2 cannot be P (because P can only be recycled x1). And we also know that P cannot be at C1, because C1 already has one item NOT in C2 (that item is W).

So then, P must be in C3.
Now we have:
C1: N, W
C2: N
C3: P

And since G must be in a different center than P (Rule 3), we've got to put it in C1 AND C2. (Remember, we were looking for the second item that is shared between C2 and C1.)

Now we have:
C1: N, W, G
C2: N, G
C3: P

Finally, we've got to put T somewhere. Oh look, C3 needs another item.
Now we have:
C1: N, W, G
C2: N, G
C3: P, T

Now, you MAY be thinking "what if C3 has a third item?"
Ignore that thought for now. Let's look at the answer choices.

(A) This is C3, so this is our answer.
(B) Nope. C1 is the center with W, and it has N, W, G
(C) Nope. C3 has T, but no N.
(D) No. Again, C1 is the only center with W, and it has N, W, G.
(E) No again. C3 has T & P, not T, & G.

If this explanation is helpful, please rate our App on iTunes.
If you'd rather get explanations in the form on an animation/video, let us know in this discussion board.

Thanks,
Brendan Duffy
Founder, Arcadia Prep
Posted: 02/11/2012 23:16
Btw there are several ways which you can deduce this...mine was just the simplest in this context.
Posted: 05/05/2013 15:44
Why is the correct answer to 13 is A instead of B. It's the recycling question
Posted: 05/05/2013 20:13
Damien, this question has been explained thoroughly in one of the posts. Please look up the thread and you will find a setup and step by step walkthrough.
Posted: 01/17/2014 22:28
Disregard those last two posts on previous questions. You can delete them if you want. It's obvious c cannot be disproven without assuming that some centre must recycle each material. If glass did not need to be recycled we could have:
WNT
NT
P(T/N)

As c) is incorrect I must imagine that was an implicit rule though the phrasing still confuses me.
Posted: 11/11/2014 07:01
I think I have the same question...can anyone explain please
Posted: 11/11/2014 06:57
Hi sorry but it didn't say that EVERY item must be recycled..right? If Glass is left out then newsprint and tin is correct too, can I think of it in this way?
Posted: 03/23/2016 20:44
Igot it ..A is really the rite answer ...very simple

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In