Discussion

Which one of the following most logically completes the philosopher ’s argument?
(A)cannot continue to exist unless something other than the false belief that the nation has moral rights motivates its citizens to make sacrifices
(B)...
(C)...
(D)...
(E)...
(F)...
*This question is included in Free Complete Section: LR-B, June '07 LSAT, question #16

The solution is

Posted: 09/08/2011 21:03
I don't understand how B is the solution. I don't understand how the evidence led logically to requiring that a nations survival depends it's citizens having false beliefs. I think that's way too far reaching, and I don't understand how a belief can be false
Posted: 09/09/2011 09:47
A quick explanation of why the correct answer choice is correct.

You'll need to login via your iPad/iPhone in order to view this solution.
Posted: 12/29/2011 14:12
B) does not suggest that the belief is false, but "sometimes" false in the "literal" sense. E) is incorrect because it implies that the nation must "always" be seen in metaphorical terms, which is a condition never implied by the philosopher. Am I understanding this correctly?
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/04/2012 07:43
Hey Mike,

Happy new year.

Choice (B) doesn't say that people must "sometimes" hold a false belief in order for a nation to survive.
It says that "many people" must hold a literately false belief in order for a nation to survive.

Your interpretation of choice (E) is correct. The passage does not support the statement that a nation should "always" be thought of in metaphorical terms.
Posted: 01/20/2013 01:39
Ok....Ive read this one over and oveer, and watched the explanation, but for the life of me I cannot see why A is incorrect. In fact, it says the same thing as B, just more specific to the passage....
Posted: 10/15/2014 11:15
If u read it carefully a says that something other than the false belief motivates the people to sacrifice for the nation. This is wrong. I hope my understanding is correct.
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 10/15/2014 11:52
Florence, thank you for posting. You are right that "something other than the moral rights" is never mentioned nor implied in the statement.
| Edit
Image Not Available
Contributor
Posted: 01/20/2013 01:52
Jorge, please follow the discussion thread before your post. This was explained already.
Posted: 01/20/2013 02:26
Zoe,
Thanks but I have read through the posts and video, but my question has still not been answered. I dont understand why A is incorrect. it is a lot more specific to the passage. The correct answer, B, "a nation cant survive without beliefs that are literally false" is way too broad...from that answer I could say that a nation cant survive unless its citizens believe in the Easter Bunny (a literally false belief)...Answer choice A reads correct to me "a nation cant survive unless its citizens have the false belief that it has moral obligations"....I cant see why A is incorrect.
Posted: 02/10/2013 11:07
Jorge, I originally put A as well (though my first impulse was B). The reasoning lies not in the accuracy of choice A, but on how well it answers the question itself, in that, does it "most logically COMPLETE" the philosopher's argument. Choice B completes the argument most logically, while choice A is an accurate elaboration on the argument, albeit not from the philosopher's perspective. Hope that helps.
Posted: 07/14/2013 07:08
Thanks Kareem. That cleared this up for me!
Posted: 02/27/2013 18:27
Kareem, thanks for the post.

You need to be signed in to perform that action.

Sign In